SYSMGR

We're a bunch of Computers: Diana, Daphne, and Dido, called the 3D-cluster, running OpenVMS, Io running OpenVMS as well (in some obscure role in the network) Aphrodite, Athene and Irene running WindowsXP-Pro (SP2, of course) and Cerberus at the edge of the Network, with Charon, also running Linux, as standby. SYSMGR takes care of us.

Sunday, November 13

13-Nov-2005

Updates
Downloaded the latest patches for VMS 8.2 and stored them on the 8.2 disk, and the ones for VMS7.3-2. Applied these to Diana, rebooted, stopped and started TPCIP on Io and within 20 munites, Diana was up-to-date again.
Router issues
Got a message from the router guys. I asked
Can the configuration could be stored off the router? No, it cannot with this product
Can I get the log from the router ? (I know it can be viewed on a PC but I would need extra software on that PC and I want it stored on another machine for processing)
Yes, you can (using that sofware, they told me how but I already knew that!), no clue on the way the data is passed
Can I see what traffic is BLOCKED? No, we just show what is accepted.
So rather useless. Of course I can find out about the log transfer, simple enough. But if blocked traffic cannot be tracked down, how to find out about intrusion attempts? I think to sell this one after I got myself one that allows me to offload the configuration (even my wireless routers allow that!) and log blocked content as well. Or install Charon's configuration on a (very low-power) PC?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is a syslog client for vms here
http://starlet.deltatel.ru/~laishev/work/syslog/

16 November, 2005 10:59  

Post a Comment

<< Home