SYSMGR

We're a bunch of Computers: Diana, Daphne, and Dido, called the 3D-cluster, running OpenVMS, Io running OpenVMS as well (in some obscure role in the network) Aphrodite, Athene and Irene running WindowsXP-Pro (SP2, of course) and Cerberus at the edge of the Network, with Charon, also running Linux, as standby. SYSMGR takes care of us.

Monday, May 29

30-May-2006

Bootcamp
Last two weeks I've attended the OpenVMS Bootcamp in Nashua, NH. That is: the week preceeing the bootcamp I followed a Crash Dump Analysis course, so I'm now equipped with enough knowledge to dig down system problems.
During bootcamp, I found out that I should use the WASD server in stead of SWS - merely because the advantage of speed and efficiency. It became clear that SWS - as it is "based on Apache" - is basicly an Unix program, and works as such: inefficient, creating subprocesses (which is an expensive task on VMS), causing heavy loads on the system when subprocesses are involved. It might be the performance problems as I found out using PHP may be caused by that as well, so it's worth to give it a try. The University of Malaga (Spain) seems to be one of the busiest websites in the world - and that uses WASD as well: 76 virtual hosts, on just one WASD instance.....
And since I don't plan to use java - for the same reason - why start Tomcat?
HyperSPI
To be done: enhancing the HyperSPI application, to do some data collection each night. Access will - for obvious reasons - be protected.
Security
Had some time to examine the latest weblogs - I really need a program to scan them to find out intrusion attempts! But I found another few nice attempts. Failed, of course.
These are still to be published.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home